Friday, January 21, 2011

Frankie Edgar Looking for Closure Against Gray Maynard at UFC 130

UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar is excited to face Gray Maynard again for a number of reasons, but one thing looming overhead is larger than anything else. He wants closure.
Like watching a movie and the ending is a cliffhanger to get you to come back and watch part two, Edgar isn’t happy that his UFC 125 fight with Maynard ended in a tie, because while he feels like he won, it was still scored a draw.
All signs are currently pointing towards a May 30 showdown to settle things between Edgar and Maynard. The champion still hasn’t signed a contract for the bout, but he’s happy to get back into training and finish the fight with Maynard.
“There’s definitely been talks about it. I’m not sure that’s 100 percent. I haven’t signed anything, but I guess Dana talked about it, so it’s probably set in stone,” Edgar said about the May 30 fight date at UFC 130. “I’m super excited, I can’t wait to get back in there to be honest with you.
“Just to get some closure. You get to have a fight like that and no one ends up the winner, it kind of sucks, but I’m glad I get another crack at it.”
While back-to-back fights against the same opponent are not the normal modus operandi in MMA, Edgar is a rare case of a fighter who has done it before and with successful results.
After defeating B.J. Penn to win the UFC lightweight title last April, he turned around and fought him again this past August. The result?
Edgar dominated Penn en route to a unanimous decision victory to close the book on his fights with the Hawaiian, and solidify himself as the lightweight champion.
So how does Edgar feel about going after Maynard for the second straight fight?
“I plan on turning it up even more from here,” he said. “As far as improving as a fighter, it’s my main objective. I’m not only looking at Gray as the main thing, I just want to get better. So after Gray, whoever it may be, I’m prepared for that guy. I’ve got a tough challenge ahead of me, but the last fight with B.J., I was able to step it up, and hopefully I’ll be able to do it again.”
Edgar will continue to work with his normal team in New Jersey as well as trips to New York City to work at the Renzo Gracie Academy. The trilogy with Maynard looks to go down at the Memorial Day weekend show in Las Vegas as a part of UFC 130.

Source: mmaweekly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment