Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mitrione Says He Knows ‘Exactly’ How to Beat Hague

Matt Mitrione believes he’s figured out exactly how to beat Tim Hague when they fight Jan. 22 at UFC “Fight for the Troops 2.” 

The former NFL player won’t share his strategy of course, but he did say it was developed through the type of film study he learned in football. 

“I’ve played football for so long, I know how to watch film,” Mitrione explained Monday on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I know what I’m looking for. I see tells. I pick up on things. Actually, as a matter of fact, three days ago I had my eureka moment for Tim, where I finally understood exactly how to beat Tim.” 

Mitrione was an All Big Ten defensive tackle at Purdue University. He played four seasons in the NFL with the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings. Since his stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” he has gone 3-0 in the UFC. 

In Hague, Mitrione will be facing an opponent who has fought his way back to the Octagon after getting cut in May 2010. 

“This really is make or break for Tim and for myself, actually, too,” Mitrione said. “… There’s a good chance that if he doesn’t come out and put on a hell of a show and win, he might not ever be brought back. So I’m expecting the best Tim that’s ever come around. I expect a guy who’s in really good shape.” 

Hague has won two straight since exiting the UFC. He stopped Zak Jensen last July and knocked out Travis Wiuff in October. Mitrione has seen those fights as well as Hague’s losses. 

“I’ve seen the issues and troubles that Tim had with certain people and certain styles,” Mitrione said. “I’ve been able to kind of pick those apart. That’s how I started to develop my game plan.” 

One common opponent they have is Joey Beltran, who went the distance with both. 

“Joey has a great chin. I’ll give that to him,” Mitrione said. “People don’t understand the kind of punching power I have or the kind of speed I have until they actually get in and start playing with me a little bit. And then it’s a totally different story.” 

Beltran outpointed Hague but lost a unanimous decision to Mitrione. With that said, however, Mitrione expects Hague to improve his game for their fight. Mitrione has done the same. 

“I’m at the point now where I’m like 274 pounds,” Mitrione said. “I’m huge and I’m probably 8 percent body fat. I’m lean and I’m ready to go. I’m full of power, full of cardio and I’m ready to let this thing fly.”



Source: sherdog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment